Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Old chest made new again.

This is a re-post from my wife's blog, but I did the work!


My wife and I were trying to come up with something special to do for our niece Christa. My mom had her old cedar chest that she wanted to keep in the family. She also had this old chest just sitting in the garage that my wife and mom picked up at some garage sale. I don't know if they got it for free or what, but I saw a challenge and wanted it to look amazing for my niece.


Well this is a mostly before picture. I started taking things off of it before I remembered to take a picture. But my wife was nice enough to label what was missing in the photo. So what did it take? Not too much really, just a little prep work, and some paint.
And here's the AFTER!

Its amazing what a little paint will do! Well, I didn't just add paint, I added some trim on the bottom, a small detail on the front (to cover the old lock hole). I also added some simple spindle feet to get it off the ground.


This is the detail we used to cover the hole. We also wanted to do something on the inside since it was just as ugly and simple as the outside. We went to Fred Meyer to see if they still made contact paper and if they did, find some with some character and would look great in this trunk. Well we found some!! So my wife lined the inside with it. I was pretty proud and amazed at what some paint and trim will do!!
So here's the before and after side by side for comparison.


No comments:

Post a Comment